• How Do I: Send Messages
• How Do I: Receive Messages
• How Do I: Create and Manage Threads
What is the Message Inbox?
The "Message Inbox" is probably where you'll spend most of your time in AlertDispatcher Pro. It's where you send and receive messages to individuals and groups. We've also made it easy for you to access the other critical component of the app, the Address Book, directly from this page, too.
Let's look at a typical Message Inbox setup with threads and a thread to illustrate what's going on. In the inbox you'll be able to:
- Send a message
- Read messages sent to you
- See a list of "threads"
- Create a new thread
- Rename a thread
- Make a thread a "favorite"
- Get alerted when there are new messages
The Message Inbox is divided into two sides in your window. You can see both here with notations on the "Thread" side in orange and for the "Messages" side in lime green. A description of each numbered notation is included below the image:
On the orange "threads" side:
- A dropdown menu that allows you to limit threads to only those that are unread, or only within the last hour/day/week. That menu looks like this:
- A button to create a new "thread." Threads can contain one or more individuals, one or more groups or some combination of individuals and groups. When you click the "Create New Thread" button you'll see a box appear that looks like the image below. To create a thread :
• Click the checkbox next to the individual and group name(s) that you want to include in the thread (people to whom you want to send messages and receive messages from). You can have any combination of individuals and groups.
• Enter a name for this thread that would be recognizable in the "Thread Alias" field.
• If you'd like the thread to appear at the top of your list click use the "Favorite" dropdown menu to choose "Yes" and it will then have a star next to it and be at the top.
• Thread Type offers the option of a distribution list or a conversation (explained in more detail below).
Then just click "Save Thread" and it will be saved in your list.
You can always remove a thread by clicking the gear button next to the thread name - that will also open the Manage Thread box and you can simply click the trash can icon to remove the thread. Doing that also allows you to change any parameters or parts of the thread's configuration that you wish. You can add or remove individuals or groups to thread, make it a favorite, un-favorite the thread, etc.
- This shows you the thread by the Thread Alias that you've used to name the thread.
- This shows the actual name of the person, or multiple people, that are participants in that thread.
- The gear button to click when you want to change the configuration of the thread or remove the thread entirely.
On the green "Messages" side (same image placed below for convenience):
- The name of the thread as entered in the "Thread Alias" field of the "Manage Threads" screen (reached by clicking "Create New Thread" or the gear symbol next to the thread's name).
- Messages that you have sent to people in your Address Book and the replies that they have sent to you. Note that:
- Replies (light gray on the left side of the window) shows the time stamp that the message was received and who sent it.
- The time that you sent your message to that thread (an individual or group that you're having the two-way text "chat" with) and to whom you sent it.
- The area where you enter the message you want to send to the people in that thread.
- A character countdown to show you how many characters are remaining in the standard message you're about to send.
- A reminder tip that you can use the Ctrl and Enter/Return keys together to send your message after it's entered in the message entry field instead of clicking the "Send Message" button (6).
- The "Send Message" button that sends the message in the message