It can frequently be helpful to set up a message that is sent repeatedly at specific times or on specific days. For example, you might have a staff meeting every Tuesday at 8:00 AM or want to remind a specific group of people that they are on-call for the weekend every fourth Friday at noon. Using the “Recurring Messages” feature in AlertManager allows you to do this with ease.
The “Send Messages” page in AlertManager is divided into three sections:
- What message do you want to send?
- Who do you want to send the message to?
- When do you want to send the message?
In 3., “When you want to send the message?” you’ll see three three available options:
- Send Now - the message will be sent immediately upon clicking “Send Message.”
- Send Later - calendar fields will appear allowing you to schedule the message you have created to be sent out at virtually any time in the future.
- Send Recurring - calendar fields and additional options will appear allowing you to schedule messages to be sent at a certain time and/or day, and for that message to repeat every X days/weeks/months, with a start and end date or the number of times the message will be sent.
You might want to send out, for example, reminders for customers to replenish their prepaid meters on the second Tuesday of every month at 9:00 AM. Or you might want to send out a notice of an upcoming planned outage every day at 3:00 PM for the next five days. There are many permutations of how messages can be scheduled to repeat.
Once you have scheduled these messages you can see them all listed in the “Scheduled Messages” sections and, if necessary, cancel those messages. (You can find out more about that in the “How Do I: Cancel Scheduled Messages” section.)